|Re-dug bed with Olla pot|
I did everything I could think to get the garden to grow - I used freshly brewed worm wine to add biologicals, as well as fresh worm castings. I added some alfalfa on top, along with some chicken manure and compost for nitrogen. I mulched to maintain moisture. Then after about eight weeks, I gave up.
Sometimes when you purchase soil, it just doesn't have any life in it. You can add all the ingredients you want, but it just needs time. I mulched that that bed and let it sit from November to March, when I finally checked it and found earthworms. I planted an Olla Pot in the middle, and replanted some of the veggies. They were coming along slowly, but better than before.
|Cucumbers peeking out|
This was the first bed I've done without adding leaves, simply because the day we installed it I didn't have a bag handy. That won't happen again! We need to remember that without the microorganisms the nutrients in the soil don't get broken down into a form the plants can absorb. I'll let you know how this one does!