Sunday, February 3, 2013

Soil

I spent last week in Little Rock, Arkansas, at the Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group Conference (also known as Southern SAWG).  I'm always inspired when I get to spend time with people who make their living through the soil.  They have a perspective that is missing in much of our culture.

I saw it in a meeting I had last week in Ft Worth.  We visited a private farm, and a friend reached down and grabbed a fistful of earth before she looked around.  She crumbled it in her hands to feel the texture and tilth.  Then, and only then, did she look at what was growing in it.

That has been my experience with many of the farmers and growers I am blessed to work with.  They look beneath the trappings, the decorations, and really see what's going on.  And when they tell you to stop looking at the plants and pay attention to the soil, you really need to listen to them!

I'm going to be working on my soil this spring, so you'll see more about this, but here's something to think about as you work your soil to get it ready for spring planting:







No comments: