Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Good Day...

There are so many gardening techniques and cool ideas out there that I'm in a bit of a state of overwhelm today.  I've been watching the film Back to Eden, and I definitely want to try the mulch gardening they favor.  I'm all about cutting down the workload.

Part of what's overwhelming me is the weather and how it's affecting my garden (in a good way).

I have a garden bed in my back yard that contains bush beans, cucumbers, basil, eggplant and greens.  I also planted a few beets and radishes between things.  The majority of the bed is taken up by the bush beans and basil, none of which I'm ready to pull out, since they're still producing.

What do do?  I had an epiphany.  If I started another bed, I could actually have the opportunity to do a cover crop in the first bed when I actually pulled everything out.  Bingo!

So, off to Lowe's I went, bought the wood, built the bed, and then traipsed over to Soil Building Systems to pick up a 1/2 yard of Organic Growers' Mix, neatly bagged for me by the nice gentlemen there.  Fourteen 40lb bags later, I'm ready to go.

Planting always elevates my mood.  I wonder if it really is the micro-organisms that create endorphins, or if it's just the joy of creating something in the garden that makes me happy.  Either way, it was a good day.


No comments: