Thursday, June 20, 2013

Ruminations in the garden


Sometimes my brain gets to racing with all the things on my to-do list.  I'm an avowed procrastinator, and if  I have a lot to get done, you're sure to find me puttering in the garden. Can you tell this is one of those times?

I've come to term with this, as it's not so much avoidance as letting things percolate. After some time in the garden things seem to fall into their natural place, and projects that were taking forever to get done are accomplished in a flash.

I'm not sure what this says about me, although it may indicate that my brain needs time to work in the background, analyzing and putting things together without my conscious interference.  Apparently it knows what I need, because I've been doing this most of my life and it's definitely an area I've never had any control over.  Just as a bonus - it drives my husband nuts!  He plans and executes, and my process of mental rumination is completely foreign to him.

Lately I've been seeing this in my son.  Like any 10 year old, he feels the need to be entertained and engaged every minute of the day, but I love to watch him when he has a moment of quiet, when I can see the gears shifting in his head as he dreams up his next big project.  I'll see him sitting by the window with our dog, Finn, quietly patting her head, and then suddenly he's in a flurry of motion. And we're off!

No comments: