Tuesday, February 26, 2013

American Meat


Last night I went with some friends to a screening of the movie American Meat.  When I told him where I was going, my husband looked at my son and said "Mom's going to take something away from us when she comes back".  I had a chuckle.
If you've seen Food Inc., you can understand that response.  I didn't eat a hamburger for a year and half after seeing that movie...until Elevation Burger came to Dallas and I could know what was in my food.
American Meat is a different kind of foodie documentary.  It didn't give me that visceral response that other films have; in fact, I really enjoyed it!  It was nice to see footage of Joel Salatin in more of a business mentor role - he mentions that his family farm is going to gross over $1 million...yes, a family farm.  It can be done, if it's done right.
Chipotle's story is included in this film; you might remember the amazing commercial they aired:

There's a great market there for our small sustainable farmers...something to look into.
This film gave me a glimpse into how farmers are operating their hog farms and chicken barns...and how they feel about it and why they do what they do.  And it gave me a feeling of hope, that we really can change things.  Even if it takes awhile.

No comments: