I decided that today was the day I should dig them up. It hadn't rained in a few days and the soil wasn't too damp. I pulled the first vine and got....roots. And vine. I pulled the second. I got a sad excuse for something...
|I've included the spiderweb just because of|
Halloween, and in case you're wondering,
that's a cherry tomato.
This is the sum total of my harvest. At least, from below the ground. I was determined to get something out this, so I got on the web and found an interesting tidbit. Apparently, sweet potato vines and leaves are an Asian and an African green, and The Bitten Word has a good recipe. After reading this blog entry, I decided I would at least sautee some of the greens (there were quite a few).
|No potatoes, but lots of leaves.|
So, at least my sweet potato episode hasn't been a complete waste of time. I am wondering about the Smart Pots - I used them for potatoes and sweet potatoes this year, and neither has had a good harvest. I'll have to try them again next year and see if I get a better result. Either way, I've found a new way to eat sweet potatoes.
|The final result|